Halliman and Covesea Skerries Lighthouse Accommodation
About the Covesea Lighthouse
The Covesea Skerries form a group of small islands and rocks that lie off the Moray coast, 3 miles west of Lossiemouth and 1 mile west of Covesea.
Following the loss of 16 ships during a storm in the Moray Firth in November 1826, on The Stotfield Disaster, many applications were made for lighthouses to be established at Tarbat Ness and Covesea Skerries to mark the wide entrance to the Firth and its confusing series of inlets. Following a lengthy consultation, approval was finally received for the building of the lighthouse on Craighead and a beacon on the dangerous Halliman's Scars. Robert Stevenson's son, Alan, designed the new Covesea Skerries lighthouse and beacon. The iron beacon was completed in 1845 and the new lighthouse followed in 1846. Egyptian influences can be seen in the entrance to the tower, the chimneys of the cottages and the arches at the top of the lighthouse tower beneath the balcony. The light was finally switched off by the Northern Lighthouse Board on 2nd March 2012 and a navigational bouy and beacon were installed on the northeastern extremity of the Halliman Skerries on 21st February 2012.
About the Covesea Lighthouse Community Company Limited
The CLCCL was formed to buy the Covesea Lighthouse and preserve it for the community. The CLCCL managed to secure a major grant from the Scottish Land Fund and on 4th April 2013 the Northern Lighthouse Board sold the entire lighthouse complex at Covesea Skerries to the CLCCL and the Lightkeepers' cottages are now available for let on a self-catering basis. This accommodation is ideal for families with small children and situated within the courtyard of the lighthouse with a superb sandy beach practically on the doorstep. The beach is accessible via a gate from the lighthouse courtyard. There is also a fence surrounding the lighthouse which makes this area safe for young children.
About the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force Heritage Centre
Covesea Lighthouse’s Royal Navy and Royal Air Force Heritage Centre open in June 2018. The Centre tells the story of Lossiemouth Aerodrome from its building, for the RAF, in 1938 through the Navy Days from 1946 to 1972 and the current RAF times. We have display models, reference material and memories along with uniforms, a dressing-up section, computer based flight simulators and other memorabilia.
Opening hours are from 11:00am until 4:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Other times can be arranged, by appointment, by contacting us at email@example.com or 01343 810664.
About the Accommodation
Both properties are suitable for families, with a self contained courtyard and fencing around the perimeter, parking adjacent to the lighthouse. The following facilities are included in both Halliman and Covesea Skerries
Halliman Skerries - 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
The lighthouse complex is situated on the mainland, just opposite the Halliman Skerries which are a reef of rocks that are covered at high tide. Visitors can also enjoy two superb beaches nearby. One, West Bay, stretches for three miles to the west, beyond the headland housing Covesea Lighthouse.
Halliman Skerries Accommodation details:
Sleeps 4/6. Accommodation comprises: sitting room; kitchen with dining room off; 2 twin bedrooms and 1 bedroom with bunk beds (can sleep adults); and bathroom with bath and shower cubicle. Services: electric central heating.
Covesea Skerries - 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
This accommodation is ideal for families with small children and situated within the courtyard of the lighthouse with a superb sandy beach practically on the doorstep. The beach is accessible via a gate from the lighthouse courtyard. There is a fence surrounding the lighthouse which makes this area safe for young children.
Covesea Skerries Accommodation details:
Sleeps 4. Accommodation comprises:
Open-plan kitchen/sitting room with breakfast bar, 1 twin and 1 double bedroom, bathroom with bath and separate shower cubicle. Services : electric central heating.
Click here to book